Information We Collect about You.
We collect information that you provide us through doing business with us or by visiting, registering or engaging with our Platform(s). You may choose to not provide us with certain information when visiting our Platform(s); however, you may not be able to fully utilize all of the services on our Platform(s) or be able to make purchases if you choose not to provide certain information. Examples of the kinds of information and the manner in which we collect such information are listed below:
- In General. Information collected includes information, such as your name, address, e-mail address and telephone number, and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (valid credit/debit card number, type, expiration date and other financial information).
- Email. When you subscribe to JTV emails or newsletters, or otherwise interact with our Platform(s), you may be asked to provide your email address. These interactions may include when you create or login to an account, participate in sweepstakes and/or contests, interact with our website (e.g., a pop-up that asks for your email address to receive offers, etc.), place an order, or update your email preferences.
- Social Security Numbers. In the ordinary course of our business, we may receive the social security numbers of our customers (“SSNs” or “SSN” if we’re talking about just one). At present, we only collect SSNs from our customers with their permission when they apply for a JTV private label credit card.
We take numerous measures to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of SSNs. Our policy includes these steps:
- Prohibiting unlawful or unauthorized disclosure of SSNs;
- Limiting the number of people with access to SSNs;
- Prohibiting the storage of SSNs in searchable databases;
- Encrypting SSNs when they are sent to the provider of the JTV private label credit card;
- Properly disposing of customer recordings or images that contain SSNs; and
- Disciplining any employee who violates this policy.
Furthermore, JTV employees are only allowed to display or disclose a SSN as permitted by JTV’s processes. JTV will not mail any document on which a SSN is visible on, or from, the outside of the mailed article. Nor will JTV use a SSN as a general identifying number for any account, or visibly print it or embed it on any credit, gift, or loyalty card. JTV will not require customers to use or transmit their SSNs over the Internet, unless the connection is secure, or the transmission is encrypted.
JTV restricts access to any customer recording or media file containing an SSN to persons with a legitimate business need to access those records to perform their jobs. Access to these records by anyone else must be specifically authorized. Customer recordings and media files containing SSNs will be disposed of in a manner which is reasonably designed to preserve their confidentiality.
- Merchandise Orders. When you first place an order by phone, through our Platform(s), or otherwise, we collect from you personal and financial information. The information we require will depend on the payment method you choose, but will generally include the following: your name, mailing address, credit/debit card billing address(es), shipping address(es), email address, telephone number, a password (optional), and your method of payment such as credit/debit card or account numbers, expiration date, and related Card Verification Value (“CVV”). If you choose to register on our websites or applications and then return to our websites or applications at another time, your password and other information will provide you with access to your customer and order information. We may also ask you for information about other people to whom you are sending product(s) ordered from us, including their names, shipping addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers.
- Contests, Sweepstakes, and Surveys. From time to time we may provide you with the opportunity to participate in contests, sweepstakes, or surveys on our Platform(s). If you participate, we will request certain information from you. Participating in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. Typical information requested includes your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth and JTV account number. You may receive promotional emails from us as a result of entering the contest or sweepstakes, or participating in a survey. We also use this information to notify contest or sweepstakes winners and award prizes.
- Customer Care. If you contact our Customer Care department via phone, mail, email, chat, or social media we may keep a log of the information you provide with your personal account to continue improving our service, follow-up on customer requests, and contact people who may be violating our policies. Additionally, we may monitor or record any calls made to our Customer Care department for quality assurance, coaching, and training purposes.
- Vendor and Employment Applications. When you submit a vendor or employment application online via our Platform(s), we collect information necessary to process your application or employment. This may include, among other things, your name, contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, skills, and competencies. We use this information to evaluate and follow up on your application. If you become a vendor for JTV or are hired as an employee, this information can become part of your account records or your personnel file.
- Web beacons. Web beacons are small, transparent graphics that are placed on our websites to track how you arrive at our websites and what you do at the websites. We may use web beacons to track web affiliate sales, customers' browsing activities at our websites, or to compile sales and statistical data. This information assists us in enhancing your shopping experience.
- Supplementation of Information. In order to provide our services to you, we may supplement the information you submit to us with information from third party sources. For example, for credit card payments, we may communicate with a company that processes credit card payments and utilize services which help us verify your identity. This supplemental information may also include information we obtain from other third-party sources.
- Other Information We Collect. When you do business with us or use our Platform(s), we may also collect other information such as your age, gender, income, education, zip code, technical information (such as the type of browser you’re using, the websites you visit before and after you visit our websites, and other anonymous data involving your use of our websites), or information that you provide us through your use of our Platform(s) (such as the terms you enter into the search functions of our websites).
We may also display targeted ads to you through social media platforms. These ads are sent to past or current JTV customers or groups of people who share traits, behaviors, or interests. For example, we may target individuals who have expressed an interest in shopping for jewelry, clothing, etc. See the policies of each social media platform for additional information about these ads.
Our Use of Collected Information:
- In General. Collected information may be used to: deliver the products and services that you have ordered; manage your account and provide you with customer support; perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others; communicate with you by e-mail, postal mail, telephone and/or otherwise about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us, our affiliates or third parties; develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our sites and on other sites; verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes; enforce our terms and conditions; and otherwise manage our business and facilitate your transactions.
- Financial information. We may use financial information or payment method information to process payments for any purchases or sales made on our websites, by phone, or otherwise, enroll you in programs in which you elect to participate, pre-qualify you for credit card (more information about the JTV Preferred Account, including the terms and conditions that apply, can be found at https://www.jtv.com/help/jtv-preferred-account) and other offers that you might find of interest, protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Third Parties with Whom We May Share Information.
- Third-party Service Providers. We use third-party service providers in various aspects of our business, and we may share your information with them as necessary for them to perform their functions. For example, service providers may assist us with order fulfillment, package delivery, credit card issuance, the providing of warranties, credit card and payment processing, customer service, website functionality or promotions. They may collect personal and aggregated statistics about our users and have access to your information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not use it for other purposes.
In addition, we may use third-party service providers to serve ads on our behalf across the Internet and sometimes on our websites or to present special offers to you when you visit our Platform(s). They may collect information about your visits to our Platform(s), and your interaction with our Platform(s), products and services. They may also use information about your visits to our Platform(s) and other websites to target advertisements or offers for goods and services. This information is generally collected through the use of a pixel tag, which is industry standard technology used by most major web sites. You can read more about online marketing practices and the technologies that support them by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative’s website by clicking on the following link: www.networkadvertising.org. Additionally, we may share your information with other companies or other organizations which are not part of JTV. These companies and organizations may use the information we share to provide special JTV offers and opportunities to you.
- Business Transfers/Transitions. As we continue to develop our business, we could buy, license or sell assets, or engage in merger(s) or acquisitions(s). In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the business assets involved. In the event of a sale of our business (in whole or in part), a divestiture, merger, consolidation, restructuring, or asset sale, it is likely that one of the assets acquired by the purchaser would be the information that we have collected. Under this situation, your information would be transferred to the third-party purchaser.
- Business partners. When you make purchases or engage in promotions offered through our Platform(s), by telephone, or otherwise, we may share your information with the businesses with which we partner to offer you those products, services, promotions, contests and/or sweepstakes. When you elect to engage in a particular merchant’s offer or program, you authorize us to provide your e-mail address and other information to that merchant.
- Other Websites. We often provide links to other websites. If you choose to visit any of these sites, please understand that they have their own privacy policies and you may wish to review them. This Policy applies only to information collected by our Platform(s) and by us.
- Other Disclosures. We may disclose your information (a) when we are required or requested to do so by law, court order, subpoena, legal process, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency; (b) to establish, exercise, enforce or apply our rights and agreements; (c) to defend against legal claims; or (d) when we believe in good faith that disclosing this information is necessary or advisable, including, for example, to protect the rights, property or safety of our Platform(s), our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. We may also share your information in order to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities.
- With your Consent. We will share certain of your information with certain specific third-party marketers when you accept an offer from them or otherwise consent for us to do so. Such information may include your name, credit/debit card number and expiration date, physical and email addresses and other billing information, as well as other information that you consent to provide.
Email communications and opt-out from our email list.
- Registration, Newsletters and Opt-Out. When you register on our Platform(s), checkout, or place an order with us via any Platform(s), you may be asked if you would like to receive information on our products, services and promotions and information about similar products and services offered by third parties we have selected. You can also sign up for our newsletter on our Platform(s) by inserting your email address into a box marked for that purpose. You may unsubscribe from our email services whenever you like by using the opt-out link on our email correspondence. You can also contact Customer Service and tell them that you want to opt-out from our email list at CustomerCare@jtv.com or (800) 550-8393. It may take us up to seven (7) days to process any request to opt-out of communications.
- Service-Related Emails. We reserve the right to send you service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so. For example, if our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an email. You can’t opt out of these communications unless you deactivate your account.
- Transaction-specific Emails. If you provide your email address when placing an order, either online or via our call center, you will receive transaction-based emails including but not limited to order confirmation and shipment confirmation.
How We Protect Your Personally Identifiable Information.
We want you to feel confident using our Platform(s) to transact business. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your personally identifiable information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personally identifiable information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. You should also take care with how you handle and disclose your personally identifiable information and should avoid sending personally identifiable information through insecure e-mail. We encourage you to learn about how to prevent identify theft. Some excellent resources can be found on the websites like the site of the Federal Trade Commission, www.ftc.gov.
Other Important Information.
- Accessing/Updating Your Information. You can both check and update the information in your customer profile by clicking on the My Account link on our websites and following the instructions provided for you. You may also call Customer Care at (800) 550-8393 to update your information.
- For Residents of California. California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the "Shine The Light" law, permits our customers who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information about the personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of personal information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Residents of Nevada. As required by Nevada law, effective October 1, 2019, you may submit a verified request to JTV at email@example.com to request that JTV not make any sale (as defined under Nevada law) of any covered information (as defined under Nevada law) that JTV has collected or will collect about you. JTV will respond to any such request as required by Nevada law.
- Children. The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), as well as other data privacy regulations, restrict the collection, use, or disclosure of personally identifiable information from and about children on the internet. Our Platform(s) are not directed to children aged 13 or younger, nor is information knowingly collected from children under the age of 13. No one under the age of 13 may access, browse, or use the Platform(s) or provide any information to or on the Platform(s). If you are under 13, please do not use or provide any information on the Platform(s).
For more information about COPPA, please visit the Federal Trade Commission's website at: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule .
JTV® Legal Department
9600 Parkside Drive
Knoxville, TN 37922